6 Oct 2008

I wanted to start writing from the day of my Smartlipo procedure, but as usual life got in the way.  ‘I’ finally had Smartlipo!!!!  I mean how else am I going to be able to give you the birds-eye view of this new innovative technology.  Its times like these that I am reminded how Iucky I am to be doing the perfect job for me.

So today is day 5 in my healing process, but let me take a step back and tell you all the little details in my personal journey to date.

Monday September 29th, 2008:  I attended my pre-op appointment with Dr.O.  It was kind of weird (more than kind of) to be treated like a patient by my business partner, but when it comes to surgery Dr.O is all business and protocol.  I shouldn’t really complain, I am so thankful to be treated with such good care.  I had already had my pre-op blood work, to ensure I was in perfect health in order to undergo the treatment.

Dr, O discussed with me my concerns and goals for the procedure and then asked me to change in to a gown (uggggg).  He then completed the consultation by squeezing my undesired areas to make sure that I was in fact a good candidate.  Woohoo, I was!!!!  He wrote me a few prescriptions.  One for antibiotics and 2 different types of pain killers.  He also of course gave me very specific instructions and off I went.  My procedure was scheduled for Wednesday, just 2 days later.  The areas I wanted treated were my lower tummy and my flanks (otherwise known as love handles).

I was so excited.  I think it is so amazing to be able to fix these things that bother most of us, and now in the office setting without the need of a general anesthetic.  It’s unbelievable!!!

Wednesday was here within in a blink of an eye.  I was scheduled to be at the office at 8:45am.  My husband took me.  He used to get so nervous whenever I wanted to have a procedure done, but he’s becoming an old pro.

Wednesday October 1st:  I arrive at the office as per the plan.  The first step was to take the prescription pain killers and the antibiotic.  Easy enough.  Then I was instructed to put on a surgical gown and Dr. O came in to the room to take before pictures(which I will burn if given the chance) and to mark the area for treatment with numbers which I believe are specific zones.  Each area is marked with a number in order to track the amount of energy delivered by the laser.  This way the doctor can communicate with his nurse as to what area and how much he would like to deliver to which area and the number will help to make sure they don’t make a mistake.  It’s all very technical and precise.  Next I got up on the table and the nurse and doctor proceeded to prep the area and me, my blood pressure was taken and final prepping done.  Dr. O then injected 6 defined areas with a nerve block, and subsequently took a blade and cut tiny incision that he would be using throughout the procedure.  The next step is the tumescent.  The tumescent is the fluid also used during traditional liposuction.  It is filled with a saline solution and lidocaine(and maybe something else?) The purpose of the tumescent is to freeze you on the inside and to also minimize the blood loss during the suction part of the procedure.  After this the Smartlipo really begins.  A cannula with a laser on the tip is inserted into the incisions made preciously and moved back and forth in the areas marked with numbers.  This is when the actual fat is being melted.  It was the weirdest feeling.  Not painful, but at some moments I felt heat and when I would tell the doctor this he would stop moving for a second and the heat would disperse and he could then continue.

Now all the fat is melted and I am exhausted.  It was a bit stressful being wide awake.  I wasn’t in pain or anything, but it’s so weird to be that lucid while someone is cutting into you.  The final stage was the actual suction part.  Dr. O went between 2 different cannula’s in order to reach specific areas of the liquefied fat.  It seems like back breaking work.  By this point he had been going at it for 4 hours.  It really is amazing how labor intensive the procedure is and how detailed he is even after 4 hours.

I watched as the tub filled up with my liquefied fat.  I thought it would be gross, but it was really kind of cool.  I mean can you imagine that your fat can be removed in front of your eyes?

Once all the fat was removed, Dr. O’Grady stitched up the little holes and done!  I got up; got dressed and away I went.  I was a bit dizzy, but nothing major.  The first night was not a problem, but the next morning…not so good.  I got up to go to work (big mistake!).  Getting up out of bed was brutal, getting dressed, impossible!  Getting into my car, stupid.  I didn’t last at work, probably wasn’t the smartest thing to go back the next day.  It also depends on how large the area treated.  I came home early and went to bed.

I forgot to mention the swelling.  I wasn’t totally prepared for this.  I still can’t wear my regular jeans.  Everything is too tight, and uncomfortable.  I guess that shouldn’t be so surprising considering that the procedure was pretty aggressive.

Friday, October 3rd: Back to work.  I managed through the day, but getting up from sitting position or sitting down from standing wasn’t very pleasant.   The swelling was is still pretty severe.

Saturday October 4th: Worked the full day, swelling is slightly better, but I am still sore.  I was very happy to be home after a long day.

Sunday October 5th: No work today but we have a wedding in the evening.  None of my dresses can be done up over the swelling (uggg) so I have to go out a buy something!!!  I managed to find a beautiful dress without too much stress and I get myself together, pop a pain pill and off we go.  By 9pm I was swollen and uncomfortable.  We didn’t last too long, or should I say I didn’t last too long.  It was the best I’d been in days, but it’s not so much fun to go out to a party and not dance or drink, so the evening ended early.  No complaints.

Monday October 6th: Today, I am still sore but the swelling is down some more.  I am anxious to see the end result.  Like traditional liposuction it can be upwards of 4 weeks to really see the benefits.  I can already see that my waist line is much smaller and that my love handles seem to be much smaller too.  I am of course wearing a compression garment that is recommended to wear for 2 weeks post procedure.  It is very tight and can become uncomfortable in itself by the end of the day, but I have my eye on the prize and I am being very compliant.  I don’t have a bruise on me, which is very impressive considering.  I can’t wait till tomorrow, its one day closer.

I will blog again daily, so check in to check out my progress.  I am trying to figure out how to upload pictures to this blog.  As soon as I do I will upload my before and afters.

Till then, be well.


Be Sociable, Share!

6 Responses to “My Smartlipo Diary”

How is your post op going? I just got SmartLipo done Saturday and its now Monday, I am in so much pain, but I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who is swollen. How much did you lose and how is it working for you? (my doc didnt put enough numbing solution in me and I felt it..not fun!)

I was swollen for close to a month. I was told that Dr.O’Grady was pretty aggressive, and that is why I had so much swelling. I too was in a lot of pain. It seemed more than our other patients. It was difficult to deal with the fact that none of my clothes fit me, let alone were fitting better!!! Anyway, all that being said I am now thrilled with the out come. I cannot believe how contoured my body is. My stomach is flat as a board and my love handles no longer hang over all my jeans. It has motivate me to diet and exercise, so I have even lost a few pounds since. Don’t expect to see pounds lost on the scale. The amount of fat removed seems to be negligible when it comes to actual weight on the scale. Which areas did you do? It will probably get worse before it gets better, but don’t worry you are going to be so happy in the end. There were days in the beginning when I regretted the procedure altogether…I could not for the life of me see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thankfully I was soooo wrong and I am excited to hear your progress too. I recommend you wear your garment or at least spanx’s shorts for 5-6 weeks. It helps so much with the swelling. I still have some mild discomfort in the flank area. No really pain but numbness, but other than that I am all good!
When you said you felt it, did you feel the heat of the laser, or the cannula going back and forth? I felt a bit of both, it was not fun, but not brutal either. Who did your procedure???

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Great post! Just wanted to let you know you have a new subscriber- me!

Taking care of our babies is the most precious thing to do at it’s early stages. Thank you for the post. It really is an eye opener.

Hey, I found your blog in a new directory of blogs. I dont know how your blog came up, must have been a typo, anyway cool blog, I bookmarked you. :)

I’m Out! :)

Huge lover of the site, quite a few your writes have definitely helped me out. Looking towards upgrades!

Leave a REPLY